Friday, July 5, 2013

Reinforcing My Learning

Today I spent all day relearning Walking After Midnight. After I got done with How D'ya Do I forgot Walking After Midnight. With my instructors help, I learned it over again. I spent today polishing it up. At the same I was working on Kansas City also which I have regained about half of that song. I decided I do not want to relearn songs over and over again even though I know that is impossible. To assist me in my attempt I am going to change my practice sessions. After I get these songs polished, I am going to play each song I have learned at least once before going on to my current or new lesson. While I still remember Steel Guitar Rag, I will need to relearn Blue Hawaii, Sleep Walk and my other E9 songs. I am still trying to find a balance here. I am always learning new techniques and each little new technique I may be able to apply to what I have already learned. Just a little more polish. The one big thing I have learned is that when I am struggling, that is when I am breaking through ceilings. When I am not struggling is when I am starting to plateau. When I feel I am not struggling is when I pay attention to little details like precision.

Another thing I have noticed is the paring of songs my instructor has me learn. For example, pairing Walking After Midnight and Kansas City was a good way to introduce me to the C6 neck. Both songs have different picking patterns and teaches me how to switch between them naturally. With this observation, the songs I ask to learn should follow similar reasoning. I am starting to develop a song list which I will go over with my instructor to determine the best benefit increasing my skills. My interest is still learning hawaiian methods. I want  to be a well rounded steel guitarist.

I have not forgotten I promised a post on changing strings. I took some pics that were slightly out of focus and I am waiting on my gf to clean up my mess! I will post soon. I also remembered a couple of things to be considered when buying a steel guitar which I will post on as well.

Keep steelin and send me comments and please follow me as I am feeling lonely and unloved. LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment